Thursday, 30 June 2011

Day 44 - Max Cardio Conditioning - June 29, 2011

Todays workout was a slog, and I had the hardest time yet getting motivated and finishing the workout.  My legs were very tired from my ride yesterday.

I have done much soul searching and trying to determine my opinion on this program.  My opinion is as follows:

I feel that the program leans to much in the build muscle category and not enough in the burn fat category.  I have difficulty getting my heart rate up to the fat burning zone and maintaining it there, as my muscles can't keep up.  For example, it would be nice to do squats for 1 min, to get my heart rate up, but my legs just aren't strong enough to keep up.  Personally, my body needs a steady increased heart rate for a long duration to burn fat.  I have been struggling with this for a bit now and am discouraged that I am not getting the results I was hoping for.  Don't get me wrong, I am definately stronger and love the muscle I have built, but It would be nice to lose the layer of fat that is covering it, so you can actually see it:)

After much deliberation, I have decided to modify the program to better suit my body, needs and hopes for the program.  I have modified the program to incorporate 2 run/ride days/week.  1 being a shorter lunch run/ride and the other a long hour or hour and half run/ride.  To do this I did two things.  I replaced one of the cardio workouts that focuses mainly on cardio with the longer run and I added days for the short run, which will make the duration of the program 69 days instead of 60.  I am very happy with this decision and I think it better suits me and I look forward to better results.  Plus who wouldn't want to be outside more on our nice and beautifully sunny summer days.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that your body needs more cardio, while mine seems to do better on less cardio and more pylometrics. It's too bad the program is not working like you wanted it to. Perhaps it's because you kept your regular diet and not the one the program suggests? You do look better though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that is interesting, but I have always known that. I always said I have to run to lose weight, but I hate it:) As for the diet, our regular diet is pretty much what the program suggests. In fact, I have a hard time eating the amount of calories the program says I should be eating. We'll see how the incorporation of running goes. I suspect it will make a big difference right away. Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete